Currently Listening To: This Is A Standoff! - Be Disappointed
Currently Reading: The Rules of Attraction - Bret Easton Ellis
I guess I will start today's blog with a something random... I love cruising iTunes for new music. Even though I would much rather go to Amoeba or Rasputin and waste hours going through their library, its much easier to find music that I want immediately and also discover music I should have been listening to a year ago. I just discovered the melodic punk band "This Is A Standoff!". Their album Be Disappointed brings me back to the first time I heard "Living With Lions", totally addictive positive melodic pop-punk. With fast driving beats and precision drumming along with catchy, but not cheesy lyrics this album is a definite add to yr library.
Now that i got that out of the way we can go on to discuss something far more interesting, maybe...
I am seriously sick of MTV and the bullshit they try and sell to their viewers. You may be asking yrself, "What is the problem with MTV? They have genuine original and entertaining programing." WRONG! Last night I was watching Monday Night Football, specifically Chargers v. Chiefs, when my buddy Marvin decides to change the channel to The VMA's (for those of you living under a rock that stands for Video Music Awards). Se did not get to watch it on Sunday so he decided that we needed to watch. First off in the defense of MTV, I am not their "target audience" (that being 15 year old girls), but they are really not producing anything of substance. Look at the people up for awards the other night 30 Seconds To Mars, Drake, Justin Bieber, and the biggest spaz of all Lady Gaga. What makes these artists so specials, SERIOUSLY!! I want to hear the argument justifying the careers of these so called "musicians". My mustache has more charisma then that wanna-be Jared Leto. Go back to acting dude, you are much more enjoyable on the silver screen (Requiem For a Dream is still one of my all time favorite films, if you haven't seen it i suggest you go buy it asap).
My beef with Justin Bieber is that the kid, KID, is 16 years old singing about "love". Why can't kids just be kids and enjoy life just being that? It freaks me out that kids find it necessary to take on careers even before puberty. By the time they are in their 20s, they have nothing left to offer the world because the public feel in love with them when they were "little angels", when they are raging alcoholics and drug addicts with zero money in the bank.
Lady Gaga...what to say about you??? Well for starters you are a freak of nature. I do not understand you and maybe that's what I don't understand about yr image. I guess you would call yr style "provocative", "brave", "unapologetic", but I only see it as silly and moronic, yr really an attention whore. I know yr trying to be bigger and better than all the pop divas before you, but at least those before you were truly provocative. When Gaga approached the stage to accept the award for, "Video of The Year" for "Bad Romance" there was no trouble figuring out what the hell she was wearing, a dress made of meat. And to top it all off she had a purse made of meat and a hat that was pretty much a "baseball cut" laying atop her stupid head. There is nothing provocative about wearing a dress made out of meat, except for the fact that she pissed off the whole PETA community, haha!! You may consider yrself to be the 21st Century "Madonna", but you got nothing on a real diva such as Aretha Franklin or Whitney Houston.
As I said earlier, MTV was not trying to get ME to watch their sub-par "award show". All I have to follow up with is that I am sad for the generation under me having to accept this as entertainment. Kids, do yrself a favor and just change the channel!!! Everything about MTV so fucking trendy and it kills me inside. Sometimes at college I would really feel lost, unable to relate to others around me because they immersed in the trendy bullshit that is MTV.
Ok...I am done complaining. On a more positive note, I picked up the novel The Rules of Attraction earlier today and I am stoked to get started on it. For now I will say goodbye, thanks for reading!
love,
maddog
Well put Maddog. Agree on all, especially Gaga. The bar is set way too low for music today.
ReplyDelete